Is a public defender a bad idea for my first DWI? 3 Answers as of May 24, 2011

I blew a .08. This is my first offense.

I always suggest that people charged with a crime retain an experienced criminal attorney in the city that they are charged. He would know the DA, the police, and the judge and will have the best chance of getting the most favorable results under the circumstances. A criminal conviction could result in jail, probation, and effect your job or career. Many people cannot get the job they want because of a criminal conviction. A DWI is a serious charge and you will usually get better results from a good attorney who can answer your questions for the next twenty years as well as for the charge you now face. Everyone needs a good lawyer, a good doctor, and an honest mechanic.
I believe a public defender or Legal Aide may not be your best bet for a first time DWI because at a .08 reading, with the right counsel, you may well get out of it with a simple Impaired or less, depending upon what county it's in and what the circumstances were when you were arrested. Speak to an experienced lawyer first and see what your options are before settling just to save some money up front. Good luck.
That depends on the particular public defender. Some are good some are not. If you intend to go to trial rather than plea bargain you probably would want to hire your own attorney if you can afford it since he or she will probably have more time to devote to the case tan the public defender ( they usually have too many cases to be able to devote a lot of time to any one case). Good Luck.