Is Possession of Marijuana down to Littering have any ramification's on college acceptance and future employment after earning my degree? 24 Answers as of May 28, 2013

I'm 17 and I was arrested a couple months ago for Possession of Marijuana, but it was dropped down to Littering. I'm about to began apply for colleges, and was wondering if this charge will have any ramification's on college acceptance and future employment after earning my degree?

Blough Law Office | Janis L. Blough
It's difficult to predict with certainty, but after five years, if it is your only conviction, an experienced attorney can help you petition to have your record expunged. Good luck!
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
You should be fine esp. if you expunge the arrest of the Possession of Marijuana.
If you were not convicted of possession, it should have no effect on your future.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
YES.
The drug conviction would have but littering I think probably not.
    KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
    It could. If you were only convicted of littering, then it may not harm you very much. However, if they ask you for arrest info and the marijuana mes up, then it could harm you from getting into a top college.
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
    It shouldn't, unless the college has a problem with litter-bugs. If the application asks if you were ever arrested and what you were arrested for or what crime you were charged with, that might be a problem.
    No.
    The marijuana arrest will probably show on your record.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    It should not effect colleges. The federal loans are not available if you have drug convictions. Also after yyou are 18 juvenile records can be sealed.
    Every criminal conviction is on your permanent record, and will have ?some? impact. How much is up to the school, employer, etc. You can speculate as well as anyone else.
    Steven Miller | Steven Miller
    I would say probably not in all cases. Perhaps if you wanted to work in law enforcement or some special govt job, they might question it, but even there, certainly after waiting a couple years, I would not personally see a problem.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Probably not. If the loitering charge was a violation of a municipal ordinance, you can file with the Superior Court of New Jersey to expunge the record of your arrest and guilty plea, two years after you pay the find imposed.
    Law Office of Gregory Crain | Gregory Crain
    No.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    You were a minor at the time and your juvenile record is seal when you turn 18 so there should be no effect.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If you were allowed to plead guilty to littering that should be the only offense that shows on a background check. Littering should not affect your college acceptance or future employment.
    You either had a felony, a public defender, or a prior record to not get the marijuana ACD dismissal. If you plead to a Littering violation then it is not a criminal conviction but it may allow the employers or the school to see what the original arrest was for. You should have retained a good lawyer to have the case dismissed and sealed, but I suspect that it was a small town that wanted the money for the Littering fine.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    Yes, it could have ramifications.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    Littering is still a misdemeanor conviction.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Probably not, but as long as adjudication was withheld you may be able to get the records sealed and then later expunged.
    Pearson, Butler, & Carson, PLLC
    Pearson, Butler, & Carson, PLLC | Matthew R. Kober
    They might be able to see that it was originally charged as a drug possession case. But you can say that you never were "convicted" of that drug offense. You may want to consider having it expunged or sealed.
    You shouldn't have any serious problems. You may not be eligible for a top secret clearance so you probably won't be a navy seal but there shouldn't be any other ramifications.
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    It depends on what or how they ask you a question regarding these matters. Technically your only guilty of "littering" - so if they ask you whether or not you've ever been found guilty of a drug charge you can say no. Now if they asked you if you've ever beeb "charged" or arrested for a drug charge - that is another matter.