Is a parking garage permitted to withhold a car without notice from its rightful owner if monthly dues are in arrears? 2 Answers as of June 27, 2011

Is a parking garage permitted to withhold a car without notice from its rightful owner if monthly dues are in arrears? The "rules and regulations of monthly parking" does state, "If your monthly fee is in arrears, your car will not be released until all outstanding bills are paid". While I understand the garage may revoke parking privileges, I am not sure of their legal right to withhold property as collateral.

Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
I believe they can but am not sure. If you signed a rental agreement then it is likely in there and they are on better footing to justify it. I would just pay the arrearages that would be the simplest, most cost effective way out of this.
New York Lien Law Section 184 says "yes".