Is the only way to take care of an old warrant turning oneself in? 2 Answers as of February 16, 2016

I am interested in whether a person can hire an attorney for limited assistance representation to help clear up a warrant that is over a decade old in another state (a warrant in which said person was specifically identified as having nothing to do with the crime in question and retains the documentation to prove as much). This warrant could have been served a few times during minor traffic violation stops over the years in the neighboring state which is very close by, about an hour and a half drive and was it was not. It is said to be non extraditable. If going in to be processed for a warrant is the only option, do they have a legal right to find out exactly what the charges are against them prior to doing so? Can they contact a bondsman and find out what it will cost to be bailed out so they can turn themselves in then go home afterwards? Of course showing up at any all future court dates. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
We have handled countless MA warrants for people from other states that have not had to appear in MA. However, that is no guarantee that it is possible in your case. The decision is ultimately up to the judge who will likely take into consideration the seriousness of the charge, the length of time that the warrant has been open, at what point in the process the warrant issued (e.g. before the person knew of the charge or after appearing in court one or more times) as well as many other factors. You should hire a local criminal defense attorney to advise you.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 2/16/2016
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
Yes. If there is a warrant, you must turn yourself in.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/15/2016
Click to View More Answers: