Is only the other driver legally responsible for this accident? Why? 13 Answers as of June 05, 2015

I was in a bad traffic accident on a highway because the brakes in the car of the other driver were not working properly. This was cited in the police report. I was rear ended and suffered significant injuries to my lower body and back. Is the other driver the only person who can be held legally responsible for the accident?

Generally yes, unless someone failed to repair the brakes or the car is owned by someone other than the driver.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
Well if the brakes were defective then you would have a case against manufacture. If they were poorly maintained the it would the car owner fault.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
No, but I lack information as to who else is involved and may be at fault.
Based on these facts, and assuming there are no other relevant ones, yes.
The owner, if different from the driver, is also responsible. The other possibility would be the mechanic, if the brakes were just worked on.
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    Your question does not contain sufficient facts upon which to base an opinion. You should contact an experienced personal injury attorney for consultation.
    The other driver and the owner of the other car as well are possibly liable if there were major injuries and you had insurance. Your car is covered by your no fault.
    Maybe, maybe not. I would need to know more about the facts. Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer. Good luck.
    You should file your claim with their insurance company.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    In Michigan the owner of a motor vehicle that is used with permission or consent is also responsible for any liability incurred by someone driving the vehicle with that permission/consent.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    I would need more details, but the driver who rear-ended you is probably the only person liable. Your policy may provide additional funds to you depending on the type of coverages you have on your insurance policy.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    The other driver and his or her automobile insurance company would be liable. If there is inadequate liability insurance coverage to pay for all of your damages, then you could also have an underinsured motorist claim against your own automobile insurance company. The only other potentially liable party might be the shop that worked on the brakes, assuming that recently happened.
    You could also sue the manufacturer of the car, of the brakes, and of any service facility that did work on the brakes. You would also sue the owner of the car.