Is online gambling illegal in the US? 16 Answers as of August 31, 2011

Is online gambling illegal in the US? In all states?

Each state is different and has different laws. Some prohibit it and some allow it. Check out: www.gambling-law-us.com for an overview of each state's gambling laws.
From what I presently understand, it is not legal to gamble on line, except perhaps in Nevada, however, there are movements afoot that will legalize it soon.
I am only admitted to practice law in NY state and I believe that it is illegal but there may be some exceptions. if you have a specific case involving illegal gambling in New York you should hire an attorney. As for the other states you should contact an attorney in those states.
On line gambling is illegal in the State of Alabama. I do not know if it is legal in all of the other states.
That's a complex question dealing with choice of law questions and possibly federal law. If gambling is illegal in your state of residence, the question would be does your state regulate gambling where only one half of the betting takes place in your state. The issue is under consideration by Congress and several state legislatures. In all probability, the government will see the tax potential and make it legal but you need to be familiar with the laws in your state and watch for federal regulations.
    I haven't researched the issue, but would certainly think that it is permissible in the states that allow gambling, but in the others, I am doubtful... Stay well.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Yes; it is a federal offense to engage in online gambling.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    I believe it violates federal law, so it would be illegal in every state.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    There are no federal laws against online gambling for players in the US, though certain states may have restrictions against them. Players have very little to be concerned about, the main legal grey areas surround the operation of online gambling platforms.
    Each state will have their own laws regarding the legality of on-line gambling. You must consult the laws of the state where you expect to do the gambling to determine this. Or contact an attorney in that state.
    No. Online gambling is not legal in the United States.
    It's illegal in California. There is no federal law on the subject to my knowledge. I cannot speak for other states.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Yes-all accounts are off shore.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    I am only licensed in NH, so what I can tell you relates only to NH. It is my understanding that gambling is illegal in NH, but I have not personally had anybody charged. I can't speak to the other 49 states.
    Online gambling for money is illegal in all states but the government is unlikely to prosecute anyone. There are millions of online poker players who are waiting to get their money back since the feds just closed down the top three poker sites. Bodog and Carbon Poker are the last sites that American players can put money into and they will be closed soon.
    Subject to proper research, I would initially say that a player is possibly violating the gambling laws by using an unlicensed site, similar to using a back room unlicensed casino. That would likely be true in every state. The real discussion is risk of being caught and charged, which is unlikely, unless the govt gets more serious about tracking your online ID back to you. Any gambler is obligated to report and pay taxes on winnings, regardless of where they came from. If your winnings are credited to a US based credit card, that is how the govt will ultimately catch you. The gambling site, however, is a different issue. They would have to be in compliance with the federal, state and local rules to be actually legal in operation here. I believe you will find virtually all such sites are offshore, so they cant be caught or charged under US laws, and can avoid taxes.