Is my wife entitled to any of my retirement? 2 Answers as of May 04, 2012

My wife left to go live with another man. months later i got a new job. Is she entitled to any of my retirement?

Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,.
Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,. | Jason P. Kutulakis
You should consult with and retain an attorney immediately. If you are able to establish grounds for a fault based divorce, you will likely be able to preclude spousal support. However, retirement is not support, it is a part of the marital estate and likely subject to equitable distribution.
Law Office of Faye Riva Cohen, P.C.
Law Office of Faye Riva Cohen, P.C. | Faye Riva Cohen
This is too general a question and I'm not sure what you mean by your retirement. If it is a pension, some pensions are automatically part of marital property, and either your wife cannot have her rights removed, or she can make a claim at a later date as part of a divorce marital property issue. Each pension is different, so discuss this with a person at work who knows the pension document's language, or with a lawyer. If it is Social Security, that agency has its own rules and you should check with them. You should consult a divorce lawyer, because even if you are separated, and she left for bad reasons, her rights to your retirement may still exist.