Is my son eligible to a speedy trial or bond? 2 Answers as of May 14, 2012

My son was arrested in September of 2011 for armed robbery. He has been in jail since then without a bond. Isn't he eligible to a speedy trail and or bond?

H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
A person can be denied bond for various reasons, such as if they are deemed a flight risk. As far as speedy trial goes, in Georgia you need to file a speedy trial demand in writing with the court to get that going.
He may not be eligible for a bond, because of the seriousness of the offense. Armed robbery carries a mandatory minimum 10 years in prison (no parole). In regards to the speedy trial demand. If he was indicted before the first Monday in December 2011, then he has missed the time to file a speedy trial demand. If he was indicted before the first Monday in March, 2012, then he has only a few other weeks to file a statutory speedy trial demand.