Is my simple trespass going to affect my injury case especially the amount offered? 14 Answers as of October 22, 2012

I'm in a law suit for a injury slip and fall, after 2 yrs, they were going to settle due to back surgery, it postponed. After my depositions, my lawyer told me they were going to settle, and in that time before deposition, I got charged with simple trespass. Due to a person needed a ride to work turns out person lied she wasn't allowed on property. I got in trouble for helping someone. Can that be used against me, can they decrease an only offer me 5,000 for my injuries.

I doubt that it is even admissible.
First, you don't know if they'll find out about it. Theoretically, any violation of law can be used against you to cast doubt on your credibilty. But, I'd say this simple tresspass, especially under the circumstances you describe, is irrelevant and if the defense tries to use it, they will just look desperate. What does your lawyer say?
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
Your credibility always comes into play in a lawsuit and having a criminal record may decrease your credibility. I would contact my lawyer to discuss why the offer was decreased. Usually an offer stands and is honored unless unusual circumstances are involved. There may be other factors involved.
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
If it was a different matter, it won't be admissible unless its a felony. It sounds like it was not and won't effect your case.
Based on what you say the trespass is unrelated and therefore would not be admissible at trial. That doesn't mean the insurance co wont try to embarrass you or take advantage of you. that is what they do. Your lawyer can explain all this.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    It is unlikely under the circumstances that the simple trespass would affect any settlement award.
    Your personal injury case is separate from your trespass matter and any amount to settle should not take that into consideration.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    This is something you should ask your attorney rather than a message board. Your attorney has all the facts, and has been working on the case with you. Talk to your attorney and see what they say.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    What happened after the fact should not be relevant with the exception of emotional distress damages. If you claim emotional distress, they are permitted to inquire into other stressors in your life. Getting charged with a crime would certainly fall within that category. But in my opinion, a trespass violation is not going to affect your case.
    I certainly hope that you have an attorney, if not hire on and ask them you question. Generally, an independent action should not effect your injury lawsuit/settlement. I also concerns me that $5000 seems low for an injury which required back surgery, however I do not have sufficient facts to form a firm opinion on that issue.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    If the trespass occurred after your injuries then no it is not admissible. Only felonies and convictions involving dishonesty can be used against you.