Is my license suspended if I got a DUI in another state? 5 Answers as of June 03, 2011

I pled guilty to a zero tolerance law in the state of New York back in March, but I am a Connecticut resident. The sheet I signed stated my license would be suspended in the state of New York for six months. I have not received anything in the mail back in Connecticut saying that my license has been suspended in CT as well. Would my license also be suspended in CT?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
In the past, I would have said no it will not affect your license in CT,however,lately, I've been getting more calls about people not getting their license renewed in other states due to convictions or outstanding traffic tickets in NY which had gone to warrants or scoffs. That means that other states are now honoring whatever is going on in the state of NY and vice versa. Therefore, I suspect you will soon get notice in CT that your license has been suspended there as well. However, just to be sure, contact a local attorney in CT to see what they say about it. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2011
Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
Yes. Your operators license can be suspended in Connecticut. Connecticut and New York are members of the Interstate Drivers License Compact, which allows states to recognize the administrative sanctions of other states. However, New York must notify Connecticut of the suspension before it becomes effective in Connecticut. I advise contacting the motor vehicle department and inquire as to the status of your license.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/3/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I believe that CT would suspend your license, but you should hire an attorney to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in CT.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You stated in your summary that you plead to a DWI in New York and have a Connecticut license. There is a Driver's License Compact between the states and therefore New York will notify Connecticut and they will decide how to punish you according to their law. Your license will be suspended for 6 months and your privilege to drive in New York will be suspended for the same period. This is called reciprocity between the states and it is set up to avoid the possibility of drivers escaping punishment because they have a license from another state.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2011
Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq.
Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq. | William R. Falcone
The privilege to drive is granted by a license issued and regulated by your home state. Other states are free to suspend your privileges to drive in their state based upon conduct in the other state. Since many states share records of such suspensions amongst each other, there is often action taken by a home state to revoke or suspend your license there as well. Usually that would require notice and the right to appear and object prior to such action being taken in the home state.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: