Is my husband obligated to pay for my attorney if I can't afford one? 12 Answers as of December 04, 2013

I filed the petition for divorce myself, but I do not have legal representation as I cannot afford it. The legal aid service for low income cannot qualify me based on his income; however, being that he's a USPS employee, he has access to free legal representation through our divorce as part of his benefits package. This will make it unfair as I would have to handle everything on my own and he'll have an unfair advantage over me. Is he obligated to arrange legal representation for me as well?

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You can request attorneys fees to assist you in obtaining counsel. You should consult a family law attorney or facilitator to assist you with the proper motion.
He will only be obligated to pay your attorney fees if the judge thinks it is appropriate. You need to contact a local family law attorney. He or she will have a better idea if they think they can get the judge to order your husband to pay.
The court might make a determination that you're entitled to being reimbursed for attorney fees you expend on hiring your own attorney. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your legal options.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Fees for an attorney are at the discretion of the Judge.
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
You should discuss this with an attorney in your, but it is likely that he might be ordered to pay your attorney if you have no income.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    You can hire an attorney with the understanding between you and your attorney that your attorney will collect his/her fee from your husband.
    No, why is that unfair? I am sure if you had the benefit package he has you would not feel obligated to pay for his counsel, you can rationalize anything does not mean it's correct. Ask the court for advancement against equitable distribution for counsel.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    No. Nor does he have free representation.
    Glenn Milgraum PC
    Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
    You will have to arrange for your own legal representation. However the laws of NJ provide that the monied spouse may be responsible for some (or all) of the non-monied spouses legal representation. Any attorney you consult will tell you what can be done, but do not be surprised if they request a retainer amount up front.
    The Law office of Karla M Mansur
    The Law office of Karla M Mansur | Karla Mansur
    He is not obligated to pay your fees, but you can file a motion asking the court to give you money to litigate the matter.
    You can hire an attorney and seek assistance, or full payment, in a petition to the Court.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    In Michigan, to be awarded attorney fees in a divorce action, you must prove: 1) that you do not have an ability to pay for a lawyer; and 2) that he has the ability to pay for your lawyer.