Is my husband entitled to vacation pay he accumulated? 2 Answers as of June 09, 2011

My husband worked for a company for several years. He accumulated 3 weeks vacation time. He last worked for them in Oct 2010 and they paid him 1 week's worth of vacation and to this day have not paid the remaining 2 weeks. Are they legally liable for paying the remaining 2 weeks or have we lost that vacation pay?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
It depends. If the vacation time was earned, i.e., that he got one day per month or something like that, then it would be considered wages earned and he would be entitled to it. if he just got a block of it at the start of each year, then not.
William J. O' Malley, Attorney at Law
William J. O' Malley, Attorney at Law | William J. O' Malley
Generally, you are entitled to unused, accrued vacation pay. The problem is that recovering the lost pay may be too expensive to pursue. If you want to avoid attorney's fees, you could simply sue for the lost pay in small claims court.