Is my fiance going to jail for prescription fraud? 10 Answers as of April 23, 2013

My fiance has worked as a secretary at a doctor's office for about a half a decade. I got a phone call at work that she was caught forging a prescription and trying to pick up the meds at a pharmacy. She told me she had trouble sleeping and instead of making a doctors appointment and going through the proper channels, she wrote herself an ambien prescription. Is she going to go to jail for this? We're supposed to get married in 4 months.

Yes she should expect 6-12 months in jail.
She needs a good lawyer to hopefully prevent her from going to jail and maybe not ending with a felony conviction. We, like most lawyers offer a free initial consultation to talk about the matter and will show you how we can help. You must call at 402-455-1711 to set up a time to talk about the matter. While, we have been in business for almost 25 years, we know what we are doing. We fight hard to represent your rights and defend our great constitution from abuse.
That depends on the judge. She was very silly. She worked for a doctor and could have talked to her boss about the medical problems. She might not go to jail if it was her first crime ever.
TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
If and how convicted may have an impact on this. As an example, if she should plead guilty through a negotiated plea agreement it could be avoided. If an open sentencing or again through negotiating, other options to executed time may be available such as community corrections. This could result in work release or home detention as possibilities. The facts of the case and her prior criminal history if any will factor into it as well.
If this is her first offense, I doubt that she will go to prison for this felony offense, but she should contact and retain the services of counsel to insure the best possible resolution of the matter, as nothing is guaranteed in life, especially where the courts are involved.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Maybe not although forgery is a felony.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    With proper representation your fiancé should be able to avoid jail, even if convicted. That is on the condition that she has no previous drug convictions. She certainly should have a lawyer as this is a serious charge. If I were representing her I would put a plan together with her to put her in the most favorable condition possible. She would have to get involved in sore of counseling, drug treatment, etc., but if she followed the plan she would most likely be able to avoid conviction entirely. If she does not already have counsel who is recommending this sort of thing, you can contact my office at the numbers listed below to discuss representation.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Very possible that she will have a mandatory minimum jail sentence. She needs to retain good criminal defense counsel asap.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Fiance is being investigated. She should not speak to the police or DA without a lawyer. If they want to talk, just tell her to say I want a lawyer. Nothing else. It is unlikely that there will be jail, but possibly could affect her working in the future. Jail could happen if there are many instances.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Sentencing depends on whether you are found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution.