Is my employer responsible for the medical bills? Why? 24 Answers as of May 04, 2015

I have worked at an overnight dog kennel for about a year. I was working when a very violent fight broke out between two dogs. I got a serious bite when one of the dogs bit my arm and would not let go until it was all over. I have very deep punctures and maybe even tendon damage. I cannot remember exactly what I signed when I started the job, but should the kennel pay for my medical bills?

S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You suffered a job-related injury and, under Pennsylvania's Workers Compensation law, the employer should be obligated to pay for your medical bills.
Lloyd H. Thomas III P.C. | Lloyd H. Thomas III
If you are an employee of the kennel, you should be covered by workers compensation. If you are an independent contractor, you are probably not covered.
Yes, you have a claim for workers comp benefits. See a lawyer who specializes.
You may file a L&I claim. A doctor can determine how bad the arm was injured and the treatment required.
Hobbs Law Group
Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
It sounds like workers compensation should cover your injury.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    If the kennel has workers' comp insurance, as required by law, then that insurer should cover all the medical care that is reasonable, necessary and related to your work injury. However, the Employer has the right to, and should direct you to an authorized treating doctor, rather than you going out on your own. If they're aware of your work-related injury and don't direct you, then you can argue that the right of selection of doctor became yours.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
    Talk to a workers compensation board certified attorney. You should be covered regardless of what you may have signed.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    The employer is required to provide worker's compensation insurance which covers medical expenses and wage loss. Call the Montana Department of Labor in Helena if your employer refuses to file a claim.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Of course the employer should pay. Your principal remedy is a Workers Compensation claim. Ask the employer to notify its WC insurer. If she/he/it will not, definitely consult a Workers Comp. lawyer.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    By law your employer is required to have workers compensation insurance which will pay for your medical bills.
    If you are an employee (as opposed to being an independent contractor), your employer is responsible for injuries that occur "in the course and scope of the employment." So make a claim for workers compensation. If there is any dispute, then get a lawyer.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    The bills should be paid by the workers compensation insurer for your employer, since this was a work-related injury.
    More than likely the Alabama Worker's Compensation Act applies and your employer owes the bills and will owe all medical bills related to your injuries for life. If the Dr. has you off work, they will owe you comp for that time until you reach maximum improvement in your condition (the point at which you won't get any better; you might get worse, but you won't get any better). If you have a permanent impairment rating to your arm, you will be entitled to permanent disability benefits for that. If the employer won't pay the bills, seek help through the Alabama Department of Labor or an experienced comp lawyer
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Their workers comp insurance should pay for bills and permanent scaring. The dog owner also has liability.
    Generally yes, it would generally be a worker's comp claim.
    I can't believe there is more than one person asking the exact same question. Please see my previous answer and that of the other panelists. This is a worker's comp claim. Your employer is responsible to pay your medical bills because you are entitled to worker's comp benefits. Employers are required to have this coverage. This is nothing new.
    If the kennel owner carries workers comp insurance, then just tell your boss to turn it over to the workers compensation insurance company.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    If you have an on the job injury, workers compensation law indicates your employer is to pay any wage loss and medical expenses. There are a few exceptions in the case of very few employees, folks not actually being employees, etc. Consult local counsel who regularly handled WC cases if the employer won't pay.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    Yes, and if they refuse, you can file a worker's compensation claim against them.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    Yes, as long as you were an employee and your employer has three or more employees. You should reach out to a Georgia workers compensation attorney. The consultation is free. Good luck.
    This question has already been posted, and I sent an answer.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    You could file a workers comp claim with your employer. You could possible file an action also against the owner of the dog.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq. | Joseph Kelly Levasseur
    If you're an employee of the dog kennel then it would be a workers comp claim. If you're a volunteer then you may have to bring a claim. Ask them if you signed anything and get a copy, then have an attorney look at what you signed. Good luck.
    Zitzmann Law, LLC
    Zitzmann Law, LLC | James Zitzmann
    The injuries will likely be paid through via the workers compensation system.