Is my employer allowed to ask for my I-9 documents more than once? 2 Answers as of October 27, 2010

I brought in my I-9 documents when I first got the job 6 months ago. Now my boss is asking me to bring them in again. Is this legal?

The reason that your employer may want to see your I-9 is to use that to confirm your legal employment status, under one of two circumstances: 1) if your I-9 has an expiration date that is approaching, and they want to use that to complete the I-9 renewal that they must do before the expiration date; or 2) they are in an employment audit by the Labor Department to comply with the e-Verify program, and reference the I-9 with your Social Security number. Otherwise, their motives may be suspect. If there is any need to discuss this further, don't hesitate to call or e-mail me, to set up an appointment to discuss your matter.