Is my divorce simple because my husband remarried although there is no legal divorce between us? How? 8 Answers as of June 17, 2015

How simple and costly may my divorce be when he has already married someone else and there is no legal divorce between he and I?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
It should be simply. Report him to the local prosecutor because he is committing a felony bigamy.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
He cannot remarry without a divorce!
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
His new marriage is bigamous and illegal. It has no effect on terminating your marriage.
This problem actually rests with him and not you. He's entered into a relationship that is not legally a marriage because he failed to end the marriage between you. To clean up your legal relationship to your husband, you should proceed with the divorce. Please meet with an attorney to explore your legal options.
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
His new marriage, if he actually did that without being divorced, would have no effect on your divorce case. He could have some entirely different problems.
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    His new marriage is not valid with out a divorce, nullity, or annulment with your marriage first. As to how much it will cost and how long it will take, that depends on how much you are fighting over (children, child support, spousal support, division of assets, division of debts).
    It sounds like he has committed the crime of bigamy. Generally this can be cured by a divorce, even if later than it should be. He should agree to a prompt uncontested divorce with reasonable division of property and debt in order to reduce the chance of his being charged criminally. Find a lawyer well-versed in divorce law and give him or her all the details.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    If there is no legal divorce between the two of you, his subsequent marriage is then NULL AND VOID and your marriage is intact. The divorce, however, can be quick and uncomplicated. Have you considered Mediation? Mediation is Fast, Effective and Affordable. If you both agree to mediation, it can be done very quickly and cost effectively. Good luck.