Is my daughter still liable to pay rent if she cannot afford it? 11 Answers as of February 13, 2014

My daughter rented a room from a lady in which there was no contract or lease signed. Is my daughter still liable to pay rent if she cannot afford it? She also told the lady it would be a hardship.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Really? If you can't pay the rent your landlord is not required to support you. She will likely be evicted if she doesn't pay the rent.
Yes. You rent a room, you pay the rent. Hardships do not apply.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
A written agreement is not necessary to create a valid landlord tenant relationship. She remains liable for the rent under their agreement. If she can not afford it, then she must move unless she can come to a new arrangement with the landlord.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
YES she is still liable.
You can have a lease via oral promise. The payment of rent over time proves the existence of the lease agreement. Your daughter's inability to pay doesn't invalidate that contract. The landlady is a private entity and your daughter has no right to stay in a private home for free.
    Well yes. Nothing is free. If you occupy a room, house or apartment, you have to pay for it. Now, your daughter could force the owner to have her evicted, but she will be evicted.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Your daughter is still liable for the agreed upon rent. Hardship does not excuse one from fulfilling a contract.
    Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
    Your daughter's financial issues do not affect her liability to the landlord. There is no requirement for a written rental agreement.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    Is she expecting to live there for free? Perhaps a reduced rent accommodation can be worked out. If she can't pay anything she should be understanding if the landlord asks her to leave.
    Law Office of James A. Anton | James Anton
    Yes if she is over the age of 18.