Is my boyfriend’s marriage still valid if he was married in Mexico 20 years ago and has been in the US for 16 years? 4 Answers as of March 03, 2017

My boyfriend and I have lived together for over 5 years. We want to get married but he is still married in Mexico. He has been in the US for over 16 years.

Unless he has filed for divorce and received a final judgment of divorce, he is still legally married.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Yes, valid until gets a divorce.

Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
A legal marriage relationship does not simply expire upon a couple being apart for many years or upon a couple being in two different countries. Instead, it remains intact until there may be a divorce, an annulment or a death. Your boyfriend should consult with a domestic relations/divorce attorney to find out what steps may be available to achieve a divorce, so that you and he then may become married, and assuming eligibility otherwise, a marriage-based adjustment of status application process could be commenced.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Your boyfriend needs to get divorced from his first wife before he can get remarried to you.