Is my boyfriend responsible to pay me support if he leaves? 30 Answers as of August 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I have lived together for eight years and he now wants to leave. The mortgage on the house is in his name and my brother's name. I have two children and am studying and only able to work part time. My brother and I couldn't afford the payments for the house on our own. Is my boyfriend responsible to pay me support if he leaves?

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You may have a suit based on a "committed intimate relationship".
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Since there is no "Palimony" Law, unless you were married and/or he fathered your children, then "No."
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
You refer to him as your boyfriend. Therefore, I am assuming that the two of you were never married to each other. Also, from the way you refer to your children, I am assuming that your boyfriend is not the father of the children. (Although, if he is the father of the children, you could get child support from him.) Assuming these facts are correct, then, you and your boyfriend may have what, in Washington, is called a meretricious relationship. I say "may" because there are several technical requirements for a court to find a meretricious relationship. If you are in a meretricious relationship, then, you may have certain property rights. Regardless of whether you are in a meretricious relationship, you are not going to be able to get spousal support. Spousal support, in Washington, is properly referred to as maintenance. To get maintenance, you have to be married. So, if you weren't married, you're not getting maintenance.
If you are asking about child support, Is he the father of those two kids? If yes then he does. If you are asking about spousal support, then no since the two of you were not married.
Basically, because you are not married your boyfriend has no legal duty to support you. If he is the children's father, he does have a duty to pay child support. The home mortgage is basically an issue between your brother and your boyfriend unless there is some sort of agreement concerning ownership of the house. You have very limited legal standing to seek relief, but you should consult an attorney who can review all of the relevant information to determine whether there is some legal remedy available to you.
    What kind of support? Are the children his or from a prior relationship? If he is the father of the children, then he is obligated to support the kids. If not, you are out of luck. There is no alimony in Texas. While there is temporary spousal support, you are not a spouse so you are not going to get any financial support in that regard.
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    He would owe you child support if the children are also his children. For that you have to file a paternity action. As far as the house, he will ruin his own credit if he doesn't pay the mortgage - and affect your brother's also. However, you will not be able to force him to pay you so that you can pay the mortgage - unless you were married, or the children are his and he owes child support.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    If you are not married and he is not the father of the two children then no, he does not have to pay you anything.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    Your boyfriend would be responsible for paying you child support if he leaves the home. Child support is based on the respective incomes of the parties as well as the timeshare that the children will be with each parent. You should contact an attorney to assist you in determining what support you will be entitled to.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    You have two children, but do not say who the father is. If the father is your eight year former boyfriend, you can go to court to get child support. If not, I would start packing and looking for somewhere else to live. You have no right to stay in that house, and your boyfriend can evict you.
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson | Kathryn L. Hudson
    If he is the father of your children he is obligated to pay child support, but you will need a court order to enforce it. If he is the biological father of your children and legal paternity has not been established you will need to file a petition for paternity and child support.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    When you chose to illegally live together rather than to get married, you do not get any benefits of marriage. You made an unwise choice and cannot get any support for yourself. You CAN however file for and get child support.
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
    Depends. If one of the children is his then child support can be obtained. otherwise no. He is however on the mortgage so the bank may come after him as well as your brother if the payments aren't made.
    You are not entitled to spousal support since you are not married. If the children are his, you may be entitled to child support.
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
    Is he the father of your children?If so, he would be responsible for child support. If you all were not married and have no children together, it will be very difficult to get any sort of financial support from him
    Elmbrook Law Offices
    Elmbrook Law Offices | Gregory Straub
    The first question to ask is this- Is your boyfriend the father of the children? You would be able to bring a motion forward to seek child support from the father of the children. If he is not the father of the children, you will not be able to gain any support from him. The mortgage is a different matter altogether. He can maintain payments on the house and try to sell or allow payments to be missed and the house would go into foreclosure. There are many answers to the many questions set forth in your question.
    if he is not the children's father then there is no support. he is legally obligated on the mortgage but may choose to let that go into foreclosure
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    There's no support for girlfriends in ny and if the children aren't his then you're not entitled to child support. If his name appears on the mortgage he's equally as liable for the payments as is your brother, if he doesn't make the payments the house may go into foreclosure and his credi be affected as a result.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Under Georgia law, he would not be responsible to pay you support, but he is still liable on the mortgage (as is your brother).
    In Washington, if the court finds you are in a quasi-marital relationship you can obtain something similar to a dissolution (divorce) type division of some assets.If he's the father of your children he would pay child support.Maintenance is not available to you.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Are the children his? Then no, he has no support obligation. Yes, he is required to pay on the mortgage if his name is on it or his credit (and your brother's) will be affected.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    If you have two children together then your boyfriend, the father of the children, is obligated to pay child support to his children.
    The Coyle Law Office
    The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
    Your boyfriend would only be responsible to pay support if any of the children are his. If not, he is not under an obligation to pay you anything; however, if the mortgage is in his name and that mortgage does not get paid, then he could be facing a foreclosure on his credit report.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    There is no such thing a "common law" marriage in Louisiana, and living with a boyfriend does not give you the marital protection of entitlement to support. Your boyfriend and your brother are "co-owners" on the house. They may agree to split the property with one person buying the other out, or may have to sell the property and split the proceeds.
    Wolverine Law | Stuart Collis
    Are you looking for palimony or child support. I do not understand what support you are looking for and I am not certain that the children are the offspring of you and your boyfriend or someone else. Once I know those answers, I can better answer your question.
    who is the father of your children? that person should pay child support to you. the rest, about the mortgage payments, I would need to talk it over with you. I can help you with this. And I will tell you up front what it will cost to do this for you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    Your boyfriend is not obligated to pay you support, but if the children are his, he will have to pay child support. With regard to the house, that will become a civil matter in which your brother may have to bring suit. Good luck.