Is my boyfriend going to prison with 6 felony charges? 2 Answers as of May 12, 2011

My boyfriend is facing at least 6 felonies. He got two charges and never put a plead in. than a year later gets some more charges and goes to jail. I bail him out and two months later he had court to plead/sentence on all his charges in which this case missed it cause had thought it was the next day. Later on he got his paper found out it was that day called his attorney she could not reschedule so he had a warrant and the thing is we spent 1000 dollars on bail. He did not miss it on purpose and now he is in jail with a few Failures to appear and some indictments with at least 5 felonies and 3 misdemeanors. What can we do for him not to face years in prison and just get like probation and work crew? The cops and some of the DA do not like him and his attorney is not a good attorney at all

Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
Being charged with numerous felonies does not necessarily mean someone will spend time in prison. In Oregon, the presumptive sentence (the sentence the court is supposed to give) is dependent on many factors. First, the court will consider any prior convictions. Second, the court will look at the severity of the current charges. Third, the court will determine if there are any aggravating or mitigating factors (things that may either increase or reduce a presumptive sentence). The court will also consider if some of those felony counts merge for sentencing. Meaning if two charges are part of the same act and transaction, they may merge and only one sentence can be imposed. These factors are something your boyfriend's lawyer should be discussing with him. If he feels he is being inadequately represented, he should request a new attorney from the court. The judge may not grant the request, but it is worth a try.
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
There's no way to know. In theory, missing court by mistake is not the crime of failure to appear, (because you have to intentionally miss court, rather than just by mistake). But that's not a guarantee. These are questions you need to take up with your attorney. If the court appointed counsel, you can ask the court for new counsel. If you can afford to hire other counsel and you aren't comfortable with the attorney you have, you should think about that, but an attorney to handle multiple felony charges won't be cheap.