Is the motel liable in my case for not providing security? 4 Answers as of July 14, 2011

The one who raped me got sentenced in august of 2010 to 15 to life! He claimed to coming in through the balcony on the 3rd floor where my room was! By the grace of god i escaped my attacker and ran to the lobby of the motel butt naked! I told the staff of motel what had happened they gave me a sheet to cover up with and then made me go back up to the room where I was attacked! Now going into what is a crime scene they begin looking around and questioning me, well how did he get in? I told them i had no idea I awoke to a noise and when I rolled over and opened my eyes there was a person standing there with a gun in my face! I then asked them why don't we check your surveillance tapes and they told me they don't record so unless someone is watching 24/7 how can that be any kind of security? My question is do I have a case against the motel for not protecting me as a guest?

Maybe. Depends on a number of factors. Call a personal injury attorney
Tomalas Law Firm
Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
Whether or not the hotel can be held civilly responsible to you is difficult to answer without many more facts including specifics about what occurred in this attack, the location and physical layout of the hotel and what (if any) criminal activity/history there is in/around the hotel. The reality is that you very well may have a claim (potentially a valuable claim) against the hotel.
Law Offices of H. Christopher Coburn
Law Offices of H. Christopher Coburn | H. Christopher Coburn
This case would require some research of the current case law. At first blush I believe you may well have a case. Keep in mind you only have 2 years from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit.