Is moisture collected around the windows of a home considered the tenants responsibility? How? 4 Answers as of September 17, 2015

My old landlord is billing me for water damage around the big bay living room window and in all the bedroom windows too. The house had single pane window. Can she do this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
What are the Lease provisions regarding such matters? It is necessary to start there before an answer can be given.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 9/17/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
What is causing the moisture damage? ?If the windows are not properly sealed, that is a defect not caused by you so is the landlord's responsibility. ?But if the damage is caused by your excessively heating the rooms so condensation occurs from the interaction of the overly hot rooms with the cold [from the outside temperature] glass, then that might be your fault. ?You do not supply enough information for us to be able to answer your question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2015
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
What her reasoning? Are you keeping it the the pasture too hot or is there no ventilation fans? Generally this would be the landlord responsibility unless your causing the problem. However check you lease agreement.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 9/16/2015
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
Building envelope issues are typically the landlord's responsibility under the Washington Landlord Tenant Act unless the tenant is causing the issue by not performing one of the tenant's duties imposed by the Act. For instance, failing to utilize a bathroom exhaust fan may be cause for the moisture, or failing to report water leaks causing excess moisture to build. Otherwise, it is the duty of the landlord to address the issue, especially if the tenant provides written notice to the landlord about the issue. You should consult with an attorney directly about this issue.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/16/2015
Click to View More Answers: