Is it worth to pay if I have one bill, in collection with a shady law firm? 10 Answers as of September 03, 2014

It is $5000 but it's actually less than $2000 because every time I make a payment, the balance stays the same. I want out of this bill, as it looks as if I can never get it paid.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
You have several options inside and out of bankruptcy. Get a confidential consultation where you can be open and honest so your attorney has a full financial picture. There are pros and cons.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/3/2014
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Well, you can let them try and sue you or you can file for bankruptcy. You get to pick.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/29/2014
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Interest on a debt can prevent you from ever paying it off. Why do you think the law firm is shady? Collection lawyers pretty much all work the same way & to keep their licenses, they stay within the law. Why risk your livelihood over a paltry few thousand bucks? Sorry, but this debt is small potatoes to a debt collector. Either propose a lump sum settlement (may $2K) in cash to call it paid in full or you may risk a lawsuit which will cost you $2K to defend. But don?t disparage a law firm simply for pushing you to pay a debt you legally owe.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/29/2014
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
I usually don't recommend bankruptcy for someone whose total debts are only $5,000.00. A bankruptcy including the filing fee, mandatory courses and lawyer's fee can run from $1,000 to $2,000 (if your lawyer wants $1,500 to file a simple bankruptcy, look for another lawyer). I would suggest that you make a written offer to the law firm, of $1,000 or so, and only make the payment with a written agreement that it pays off the debt in full.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/29/2014
You should continue to bug the creditor or their attorney to give you an accounting and then look it over and question any entries that are not correct. If they file a law suit file an answer and have it heard by a judge. You could file bankruptcy if worse comes to worse.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 8/29/2014
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    It depends if it is worth it to you to file bankruptcy or to deal with them outside of bankruptcy. If you qualify then the amount is not determinative on your bankruptcy discharge.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/29/2014
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    The filing of a bankruptcy can certainly address this debt.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/29/2014
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    There is not enough information here to make a recommendation on a bankruptcy, but I very rarely would recommend one for such a small amount. You might want to seek out a Fair Debt Collection attorney to see if they are doing something illegal.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/29/2014
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    If you agree that the bill is owed you should speak to someone at the firm and agree on a settlement amount to pay the debt off. Get this in writing. Then you can simply match your payments to the agreed upon settlement amount. Don't rely on billing software. Get everything in writing.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 8/29/2014
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Filing bankruptcy over a $5,000 bill is cutting off your nose to spite your face. You should instead go to a legal aid office or even research attorneys who do pro bono work and ask for their help in getting this straightened out. If the amount you owe is $2,000, and you're making payments on that debt, the law firm should be able to give you a schedule showing each payment and how it was applied. If they don't or won't, you may have a case against them under the Fair Debt Collection Act.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: