Is it wise to talk to the insurance company who is calling me? 14 Answers as of January 16, 2014

My right foot slipped on a laminated restaurant menu that was on the floor. I did not fall, but I hurt my right knee and back that I have suffered with pain for years. Obviously a report was filled out by the question I asked. I have taken no further action. Just curious as to why their insurance company is calling me.

They want to settle with you for peanuts, before you talk with a lawyer. No harm in talking, but be careful about what you sign. A release is final.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
If you made no claim, I have no idea. I would't talk to insurance company.
Before you talk to the adjuster you may want to do some research on the Internet as to the laws in your state. Some states have lawyers that are willing to share in the knowledge of the law. Alternatively, you can call the insurance company back and find out what they want. Before I would give them a statement, though, I would definitely do research on the law so that you can even the odds.
DO NOT TALK TO THEM. HIRE A LAWYER. DO NOT TALK TO THEM. HIRE A LAWYER. Did I emphasize it enough?
What do you have to lose by talking to them? You imply that you do not plan to file a suit.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    If you have any damages they might want to make a settlement.
    It never hurts to talk. If they give you a document to sign, take it to an attorney before doing so.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If you don't have a lawyer, it wont hurt to call and see what they have to say.
    Many businesses have medical payments insurance which pays medical bills for any incident on the premises. Has nothing to do with fault. If you slipped on a menu I don't see that as fault so liability is not likely a question.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    Their insurance company is either calling because they fear they may be liable for your injuries and they want to make you an offer before you go to see an attorney or they want to get a statement and get you to admit no fault on the restaurant's part that way if you do file suit they will have a great defense lined up. Either way is not good for you. You should not make any statements to them until you have investigated whether or not you have a case.
    Law Office of John B. Pike | John B. Pike
    No! Have a lawyer do it.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Many lawyers, including myself, have written about recorded statements with insurance adjusters. You have suffered an injury and it may be a lot more serious than you first believe. We have clients with similar types of accidents who end up needing knee and hip replacements. Some people also develop problems with the opposite knee or hip because they try and protect the injured one at the expense of the good one. And then others develop low back problems after experiencing a change of gait. A change of gait is how you walk. What I would suggest is you see an attorney who practices personal injury before you give a recorded statement.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    It is their responsibility to investigate promptly. They want to pay you off cheap and quick so you don't go to a lawyer.
    You can call them back, but do not give them any type of a statement: recorded, written, nothing. If your injuries are significant enough to warrant bringing a claim, let a lawyer handle it for you.