Is it wise to serve my wife with divorce papers after she served me? 6 Answers as of June 26, 2015

I got the paperwork ready to file in court so I could divorce my wife. The day before I went, she had me served with the papers. Can I still serve her, or what are my options now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Why should you bother to serve her? It just costs you money and does you little or no good. Just respond to her divorce petition. It's really best to retain a good matrimonial lawyer to advise and represent you and it's almost always worth the investment. BTW, it sounds like she served the papers on you herself. In most jurisdictions, that is not effective service. Check with your lawyer and see if it is so where you live, and whether you want to make any kind of point of it.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/26/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
It does not matter who served first.. counter sue in the same case and answer her complaint. You counter sue so you cannot go through half the case and she decides to change her mind and drop the case.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/26/2015
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Since you were served, you now must file a response.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/26/2015
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
No, the divorce is already opened and filed with the Court. It will not matter who filed and served papers. What will be will be in accordance with the appropriate laws.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/25/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
To simplify the process, you can properly serve her the documents that you prepared and request from the court that the documents be treated as a response to her petition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: