Is it true when my ex says the reason he has not paid any child support in 3 months is because its upon the advisement of his attorney? 15 Answers as of March 25, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
Maybe so but all the unpaid support will catch up with him. File your case with the court.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/25/2013
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
I think he's bluffing. I suggest that you call around and find the toughest, meanest family law attorney that you can find and hire that attorney. Let him tell it to the judge. Plus, let the attorney ask the judge to order him to pay your attorney's fees since you are being "forced" to go to court to only because he won't pay his court ordered child support. He might be ordered to jail plus pay your attorney's fees. :)
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/25/2013
John H. Sibbison III, Professional Law Corporation | John Sibbison
Very unlikely and if your ex is obligated to pay pursuant to a court order, the attorney could be disciplined by the State Bar for advising his/her client to violate a court order.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2013
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
Highly unlikely. If there is a current order for child support, an attorney will not tell his client to ignore the order. You need to file a Motion for Contempt against your ex to collect your child support plus the arrearage owed.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/25/2013
Law Office of Rebekah Sass
Law Office of Rebekah Sass | Rebekah Sass
No way to know, but why he has not paid is irrelevant to your child. Children need support, you can ask the court to garnish his wages.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2013
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    That would be highly unlikely. If there is a Court Order that he pay child support and he has some ability to pay it, he can be found criminally in contempt of court orders for not paying. If you don't have a court order yet, you need to request child support orders from the court asap, so that he will be ordered to begin paying.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/24/2013
    Weinpel Law Office, P.C. | Marc Weinpel
    Who knows; but if so the advice is bad.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 3/24/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    No. that is nonsense. please take action to get him arrested for not paying child support. How to do this? This depends on the law of the State you live in. Before you do anything, talk to a divorce lawyer. And do that soon.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 3/24/2013
    Highly unlikely if there is a court order.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney