Is it true that traffic violations can prevent becoming naturalized or a citizen? 5 Answers as of January 31, 2011

My husband was denied for naturalization of citizenship. After 3 interviews they denied him because of traffic violations. They stated that if he wants to request a review hearing, he has to pay a fee of $650.00. They are giving him one month to pay and the fee is way over his budget because he just gets SSI ($ 674.00)/ month, can you please advise us what to do and thank you so much.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
When filing for naturalization you must disclose all arrests including citations for traffic matters. Nonpayment of taxes or nonpayment of traffic citations is seen by USCIS as reflecting on your good moral character. The main thing is not to ignore them. If you are having financial problems, you may want to contact the State's Attorney's office and ask if you can work out a payment plan to get these taken care of. If you have a plan agreed to by the government then your naturalization case can move forward.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
He can apply to get the fee waived. As to whether they can deny his application, he has to prove that he has been a person of good moral character for the last 5 years. Depending on the infractions he has had they could use to make a determination on his moral character.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/29/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Attending hearing is the only option you have. Sorry.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/28/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Generally, traffic violations for minor issues, such as speeding, running a red light, etc. are not evidence of lack of good moral character and would not be a reason to deny the application. We would need to know what traffic violations he was convicted of, were their misdemeanors, did he spend time in jail, did he comply with the sentence (paid the fines, did the community service, etc.) to determine if the USCIS decision was wrong. Regarding paying the fee for the N-336, he may qualify for a waiver of the fee. He needs to go to the USCIS website and review the fee waiver application form.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
I would need more information to evaluate your case. For example, what kind of traffic violations were they? Did he satisfy all requirements for each violation- in terms of payments, probation, community service? I recommend that you schedule a consult with a competent immigration attorney to fully vet your husband's case. It could be that DHS is incorrect or that your husband has a moral turpitude issue.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: