Is it true that if my son joins the Navy for a certain period, the Navy will clear his DUI record? 6 Answers as of April 18, 2014

My son has 2 DUI's. He has completed rehab and is waiting for court date. He is also enlisting in the Navy and the recruitment officer says if he joins for a certain time, the Navy will make the DUI's go away. Can this be true?

The Navy cannot clear any DUIs, unless they will be hiring the experienced attorney.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
As a veteran of the JAG Corps I do not believe that that is correct.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
No, the military does not have that power. DUIs, like all driving offense, remain forever on your driving and criminal records. They can never be expunged or removed. Usually the military requires a waiver to enlist if you have a DUI conviction.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Never heard that before. Check with Navy Recruiter.
The courts, not the Navy, determine whether or not there is a conviction, weather conditions can be set aside, or whether they can be expunged. In the case of a DUI expungement is not an option, at least in Michigan. I would have to know all the details but it would appear to me what the Navy is stating is if your son enlists then perhaps the court will agree to dismiss the charges.