Is it true that if my boyfriend and I get married his petition will be disregarded? 4 Answers as of March 16, 2011

My boyfriend was petition by his sister 5 years ago before we met. Now that we want to settle down, his sister advised us not to get legally married so that the petition of my boyfriend will still be approved. Is it true? and how long will it takes for him to be petitioned?

Petition for sister and brothers takes longer than 10 years! I don't think you should wait that long. Sister can petition for a married brother. Therefore, marrying him won't disqualify him as a beneficiary of I130. Good luck!
Sibling to sibling takes 11 years, whereas through a U.S. citizen spouse it takes months. Have him file through you. Contact my office if you need help filing.
For your case to be analyzed, I would need a lot more information from you. In some cases, a petition is terminated. In others, the person's petition either remains the same or else is retained but shifts into another visa category.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
It doesn't matter that his sister file for a married or unmarried brother. It doesn't make things faster or slower if he is to eventually adjust through his sister's petition. You did not say whether you were American citizen, green card holder or no status.Of course if you are an American citizen and you file for him, this will considerably speed up the process and his sister's petition will no longer matter. If you do not have any status, the petition could benefit you as well when the visa becomes available and you are still married to him. (But I would need more facts for a better answer).