Is it too late to reopen a case chapter 7 to add my vehicle? 15 Answers as of July 18, 2013

I was without a vehicle prior to filing my chapter 7 bankruptcy. I financed this vehicle 6 days after my filing date only to come across a faulty vehicle, a shady financing scheme and yet another burden to deal with. I am stuck financing a vehicle for the next 4 years that isn't working properly. Was there a way that this could’ve been added to bankruptcy? Am I able to file an amendment to reopen the case with this type of situation? Are there any options at all?

Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
No. You can only add debts that existed on the date of filing of your case.
Your chapter 7 filing date is a "drop dead" time. After you file, you cannot continue to include additional debts.
You can reopen your case and add the vehicle and surrender it.
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
No, you can only include debts in your bankruptcy that existed before the filing date.
Yes, it is too late because you purchased the vehicle after you filed the bankruptcy. Did you receive your Chapter 7 discharge?
    You can not add a post petition debt. You will have to resort to your civil remedies.
    It is s post-petition debt and is not dischargeable in the Chapter 7 case as it was incurred after you filed.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    No, you cannot add debts that you incur AFTER you file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you got a discharge in your Chapter 7 then you cannot file another Chapter 7 case for 8 years.
    Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
    Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
    If the vehicle loan creditor was listed on your bankruptcy schedule D, and assuming you did not Reaffirm the Debt, then your obligation under the Promissory Note was Discharged. The lender's security interest was not affected by the Discharge, and they can repossess the vehicle and re-sell it. You will not be able to get a clean title to the vehicle, however, unless they agree to release it to you. Sometimes this is a problem if the vehicle is in total disrepair and the lender decides to abandon its security interest and leave you in possession of the car.
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
    This is considered a post petition debt and you cannot reopen the case. You may have recourse in state court with lemon laws, magnuson moss warranty claims, or general contract damages.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    If you borrowed the money AFTER you filed your bankruptcy case then it is a post-petition debt for which you remain responsible. There is no way to have it included in a prior bankruptcy retroactively.