Is it safe to travel while in the process of getting my citizenship? 7 Answers as of August 05, 2011

In 2008 I applied to replace my green card and I was then placed in deportation back in 2008. The immigration judge denied me for applying for waiver so we appealed by going to the Board of Immigration. Earlier this year I won my appeal. Since I won my case I am in the process of applying for my Citzenship and I was wondering if I can travel in the mean time. I will have to get a stamp in my passport. I want to know will they stop me at the airport ? Will it be safe. Knowing immigration system takes a while to update. Thank you very much.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You should carry a copy of BIA decision with you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/5/2011
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
I recommend you get a second opinion from another immigration attorney. Highly recommend you put off traveling until you naturalize. Then, once you have naturalized, highly recommend that you provide the Port(s) of Entry you will be using with a copy of the BIA decision sustaining your case, a copy of the green card you then renewed or were given back, and a black and white copy of your Natz certificate, in advance, and also travel with said items. If you ignore my advice and don't Natz first, then there is no 100% guarantee that the above advice will necessarily work anyway.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Not enough information. The basis for the deportation can be the basis for inadmissibility. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/5/2011
Julian & Chin LLP
Julian & Chin LLP | Larry F Chin
It's hard to know for sure without more details. Generally speaking it is best not to travel until there is absolute finality to your case. If there are lingering questions or if the case was remanded to the Immigration Judge then you could be in for a rude awakening when you attempt to re-enter the United States. For example, if removal proceedings are still active and you leave the US, you will effectively self-deport yourself. You really should consult an immigration lawyer who can evaluate the facts of your case.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You are free to travel if deportation proceedings against you were terminated and you retained for permanent resident status. Make sure that you do not leave for more than 6 months and have someone notify you about any notices related to the naturalization application.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: