Is it rightful to write a new book that contains some parts of another book but with different notation and different examples? 4 Answers as of August 20, 2013

I have a question about publication copyright rules. Is it rightful to write a new book that contains some parts of another book but with different notation and different examples? I mean the content is same but it's briefed and notation and questions are changed, and this book is rewritten for a special exam. Thank you so much.

Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
That is a tough question because how you characterize what you have done and what i may characterize it - could be drastically different. But that aside, let me say that you need only copy a few paragraphs from a 500 page book to infringe its copyright.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
A good example would be a math science or history book where the facts don't change. The material is generally similar in all related books within the same subject. Direct copy can violate copyright laws unless credit is given. You may notice in many books there is a footnote that indicates the material came from another source. If you create the book using your own examples then you should be fine. If I create a math book and use the example 1 + 2 = 3, I am fair certain that this equation has been included in most basic math books. As long as I don't make a copy of the page in the book and distribute the page without paying the owner of the book I am generally fine. As another example... Jim has one apple, Fred has two apples, how many apples do they have together? This is similar to the first example, but it is unlikely that I would be found to violate the copyright of the first example. Nearly all books and movies have plots and pieces from other books. Without the specifics of your book, I can't provide much additional help.
You don't provide enough information to give a complete answer. However, generally, it is not permitted to copy any portion of a previously published work without the copyright owner's express permission.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
No - "pure" copying is not allowed. Quoting someone, with attribution, is okay. Making new examples is okay if they are truly new - otherwise, merely changing minor details from another is not.