Is it required to have a credit report ready before I file for bankruptcy? 34 Answers as of June 09, 2013

I want to file for bankruptcy and was told to prepare my credit report beforehand. Is this necessary? Is it possible to have someone do that for me?

Law Office of Andrew Harris
Law Office of Andrew Harris | Andrew Harris
Although it is not necessary to run your credit report, it is a good idea. Credit reports can often reflect creditors or collections your not aware of or have forgotten about. There are websites available that allow you to pull your credit, however it's best to have your bankruptcy attorney assist you with this. Be aware that there may be a charge for this service.
Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
Included in my fee is a credit report from a service that goes to more than one supplier. I usually use this to cross check your personal records, and to catch any creditor that may have shown up at the last minute.
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law | Paul Stuber
In my practice I can run a credit report for my clients to aid in getting the petition together. It is important to have all of your debts listed in the bankruptcy. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all of your debts might be listed in the credit report. You will have to go through all of your records to make sure all are listed.
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
You need a credit report. You are entitled to a free report from each of the three major agencies once a year.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
It helps your attorney get the information he or she will need, you can get a free one once a year on annualcreditreport.com.
    Lehn Law, PA
    Lehn Law, PA | Joseph W. Lehn
    In order to have the debt dishcarged, the creditor needs to be listed on your bankruptcy petition. You can make a list of your creditors based on the bills you have received. You may also want to pull your credit report. However, please keep in mind that your credit report may not be all inclusive. Therefore, you should still review the report and include any creditors that may not be listed there.
    Joseph Lehn, Esq
    Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
    In order to have the debt discharged, the creditor needs to be listed on your bankrutpcy petition. You can make a list of your creditors based on the bills you have received. You may also want to pull your credit report. However, please keep in mind that your credit report may not be all inclusive. Therefore, you should still review the report and include any creditors that may not be listed there.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf | Marvin Wolf
    A credit report is useful to find out who says you owe them money. It does not list all debts, but is a useful guide. Since debts are sold, it can help find who currently owns a debt. You can pay to have someone do it for you, or order your own for free from the credit bureaus. The internet lists the phone numbers to get the report for free. You do not have to buy credit score reporting or other services.
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    Your credit report is used to make sure that all your reported debts are included in the bankruptcy petition. If you are having an attorney prepare your petition, then they should be able to help you with the credit report.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    No.
    Clayton Law Offices | Rose Clayton
    It is a good idea to have a credit report before filing to ensure that all of your debts are listed. Some attorneys may ask you to pull your own. Most attorneys pull the credit reports for you.
    Bankruptcy Law Center
    Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
    It is better to get all three major credit reports before filing bankruptcy (Experian, Transunion & Equifax)
    I helps to know what your debts are, so a credit report is useful. You can get one on line. The court charges $26.00 to add creditors after you file. Most importantly, if they try to collect after your bankruptcy, (and don't be surprised when that happens) you can file an action against them in the bankruptcy court. In one of my cases a debt collector tried to collect 13 years after the bankruptcy. They had to pay my client several thousand dollars and pay my fee.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    A credit report is not required though handy if you have lost track of your debts. A credit report is easily obtained for free on the internet.
    Braunstein Law, PC
    Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
    You are not required to have a credit report available prior to filing, but it is often helpful for an attorney to be able to view most of your reported debts in the report.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    It is not required by the bankruptcy code, but most attorneys do want you to get one so you know if there is anyone out there that you might have forgot. You can have someone else get for you.
    Credit counseling is a requirement prior to filing bankruptcy. You will need to order your credit report for this.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C. | Alexzander Adams
    It is not required, but it is very useful. You can get free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com. Be careful - they try to charge for credit scores (which is unnecessary.)
    Guardian Law Group PLLC
    Guardian Law Group PLLC | C. David Hester
    You should be able to order your credit report through your attorney as they will need it when preparing your petition and schedules.
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
    A credit report is not required by law before you file for bankruptcy. However, your attorney is required by the Bankruptcy Court to perform a "due diligence" investigation into your debts and assets. A credit report is an efficient way to for the attorney to meet part of this requirement. If you are attempting to file for yourself, you would be foolish to file without a credit report. There could be a lot of half wrong and just plain wrong items on your report. You can easily list all of these items on your bankruptcy and dispose of them. You can even mark them as "disputed" if you don't think you owe them. They all get discharged either way.
    Heupel Law
    Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
    It is best to pull a credit report before you file so that you know all of your debts are listed in the petition. Otherwise, you may have to pay for forgotten debts after your case is discharged. Some attorneys will pull the report, but will typically charge fees.
    Unless your attorney asks you to provide it, you should not have to get one. However, your credit report is an excellent tool to ensure that you list all of your creditors.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    If you have an attorney prepare your petition, he or she will pull a report and go over it with you.
    Cartwright Law Firm
    Cartwright Law Firm | Andrea Cartwight
    No, it isn't required that you have a credit report to provide to an attorney to prepare your bankruptcy case. However, it is highly recommended. There are 3 major credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax and Transunion. Consumers like yourself are allowed a free credit report from each bureau a year from www.annualcreditreport.com. This is the only website you can go to where the credit reports are actually free even though there are others who claim they are free. Most bankruptcy attorney offices have the capability to pull your credit reports but in most instances there will be an additional charge for this service. Therefore to keep the cost down for yourself you should have your credit reports pulled prior to meeting with the attorney. Also, it will make your initial meeting with your attorney go more smoothly because this will allow him or her to assess your financial obligations. Do yourself a favor and provide any and everything the attorney has requested from. The attorney is there to help and assist you during this difficult time.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    No.
    Law Office of David P. Farrell
    Law Office of David P. Farrell | David Farrell
    The person filing bankruptcy, the "debtor," is required to list all of their assets and debts in the petition and disclose their financial affairs. A formal credit report is not required, at least in my District, but your credit report likely contains useful information about balances owed, past due amounts and creditor contact information that will assist you in completing the petition and filing your case. A credit report may also identify unknown creditors, or those you may have forgotten. It is important that all creditors be given notice of your case; doing so precludes later argument that the discharge should not apply because notice was not proper. Your attorney will likely request authorization to pull your credit report.
    A lawyer representing you in bankruptcy should obtain a credit report before filing a bankrutpcy case. I do routinely get a credit report from all three major credit bureaus before filing a bankruptcy case. Only once or twice I have obtained a credit report because the client is absolutely sure of what they owe and it is only one or two credit cards at the most.
    Law Offices of James Wingfield
    Law Offices of James Wingfield | James Wingfield
    Your credit report is a very important tool in any bankruptcy. It is important that when you file a bankruptcy that ALL CREDITORS are included, and the credit report is key to capturing everyone. Of course you can have your attorney pull the credit report for you, but it will cost money, while you can do it for free. Your credit reports are available for free by visiting www.annualcreditreport.com, which will take you to each of the three credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Equifax and Experian) and allow you to access your reports. Federal law mandates that the credit reporting agencies make these reports available to everyone for free once a year. It is best for you to gather all three credit reports prior to filing to be certain that no creditor is missing. A creditor who is not given notice of the bankruptcy gets to keep the debt and neither the automatic stay nor the discharge will apply.
    A credit report will help make certain that you list all of your creditors in the event you do not remember who all of them may be.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    If a lawyer told you to have it, them have it. You can get it for free online, and ot will say they're the only free govt. report. The others give you one free then charge for automatic services after.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Your bankruptcy attorney can pull your credit for you.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    When you file for bankruptcy it is imperative that you make every effort to include all creditors. A 3 bureau credit report enables you to do this competently.
    You can pull your own three credit reports for free in a few minutes online. Why pay someone to do that? Yes, getting all three is essential. It may remind you of debts you forgot, and will also help you identify debts that have been sold where you were not told, so you don't fail to include those creditors. You do need a lawyer to file a case properly, but save money where you can. Pull your own reports.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney