Is it required by law that I must obtain license from the companies that build parts I use in my final product? 6 Answers as of April 10, 2013

I want to run a company that builds computer. The computer I build will not infringe any patents. I bought the parts legally from wholesalers. I want to know whether I still need license from the company that build parts for my product or not?

Gerald Walsh | Gerald Walsh
The answer is no, if there is no active patent protecting the parts. If there is a patent protecting the parts but a manufacturer of the parts has a license to make and sell the parts, then the answer is still no. When you purchase the parts you own them and can use them freely. But you cannot use them to make a computer or any other device that would infringe an active patent.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Once you buy an pay for a part that is protected by patent you need not seek permission to resell that device when assembled into something new.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
As long as you purchase the parts through legitimate sources then you have essentially paid for a license to use the products as you desire without fear of infringement for using the components. The problem generally occurs when you duplicate a part without paying the inventor or patent owner.
Law Office of Mathew R. P. Perrone, Jr. | Mathew Roy Patrick Perrone, Jr.
If you buy patented parts from a proper source, you are free to use them. However, your assembly of the parts may well infringe a patent or patents.
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
The doctrine of patent exhaustion says that if you buy legitimate products, you don't need a license to resell them.
    Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
    No, if you buy the components, you have a license from the company that build parts for your product. You should get patent application as soon as you can to prevent others from copying you. This is important as we move into the First to File era.