Is it possible to use Power of Attorney for an MIP court date in Arizona? 2 Answers as of January 08, 2011

I live in Maryland but I recently received an MIP while I was visiting family in Arizona. This is my first MIP citation. My court date is coming up in three weeks but I will be unable to go back to Arizona for the court date. Is it possible for me to use power of attorney to represent me at the court?

Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC
Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC | Kathleen N. Carey
Unfortunately, the only way for you not to appear would be by have an attorney represent you and appear on your behalf.
Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC
Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC | Kyle T. Green
I think you're confusing what a power of attorney is and what an attorney can do for you. A power of attorney is a document that gives somebody the right to make legal decisions on your behalf, like if you need medical treatments. An attorney can waive your presence and represent you in court. In certain circumstances, like if you take the case to trial, you would have to be present.

An MIP is a class 2 misdemeanor in Arizona. Depending on the court, you may qualify for a diversion program and hiring an attorney can help you with getting into one of those programs. Feel free to give me a call and I would be more than happy to discuss your case with you.