Is it possible to remove a DUI from your record? 11 Answers as of November 03, 2010

When I was 16, I was convicted of a DUI. That was 9 years ago, but I believe it is hampering my ability to get a job. Is there a way to get it removed from my record? I am such a different person now, I do not think it is fair for it to keep haunting me.

The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
This would not hamper your ability to get a job because, as a juvenile "adjudication" (not a "conviction"), it would not show up on your adult criminal record. Juvenile records are not accessible to the public. In general, only law enforcement and district attorneys can get access to these records absent a court order.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Since it was a juvenile case it will not show up on your criminal record. However it will show up on your traffic record. there is little chance of that coming off until 10 years after the arrest. then it comes off automatically.
Your juvenile record is sealed. Employers cannot access them.
Law Office of Joseph Galasso
Law Office of Joseph Galasso | Joseph Galasso
Yes, you can file a Penal Code Section 1203.4 motion to expunge your record.

If you have any questions please contact me.
Yes you can get your juvenile record sealed.
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas | Thomas Ogas
    This is a juvenile conviction. If you finished your juvenile probation successfully (paid fines, stayed out of trouble, did classes, etc), then after you turn 18 you can get your record sealed.

To do that, go see the juvenile probation office for the court of your county. Ask them for the form to "seal your juvenile record." There will be a small fee. It will take several weeks before it gets granted (they have to check your records to see if you completed probation successfully). But after that, you will no longer have a DUI on your record (except as a possible prior for 10 years after the original conviction date).
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    Yes, you can seal the entire court file, and no one will be able to see that you have this juvenile "conviction." You won't have to admit to it in a job application, and no one will even be able to find it. Call me if you'd like to talk about this.
    Yes, it is possible to get your juvenile records sealed. Call me to discuss in further detail.
    Yes, since it was 9 years ago, you are no longer on probation. Assuming you had successfully completed probation (no violations found during probation), you are eligible to file an expungement. You should contact a DUI specialist to help you handle the petition. Due the age of the case, the likelihood of success is high.
    The Law Office of Denis White
    The Law Office of Denis White | Denis Hurley White Jr.
    You should be able to get your juvenile record sealed. Contact probation in the county where your case was handled. Also, as far as California goes, your DUI can't be used against you as an adult for purposes of subsequent sentencing. DMV can, however, use the prior offense against you for the purpose of a license suspension.
    Fair is not part of the discussion.

The general rules and guidelines are: Records are forever. However, many felony and misdemeanor convictions, including DUI, can sometimes be expunged by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. If expunged, you would be able to say no to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction. In addition, you could Petition the court to seal the juvenile record. If you are serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.