Is it possible to go to court to get back child support amounts modified based on IRS tax return? 2 Answers as of June 03, 2011

For the past 10 years DCS, calculated my support obligation on a Job I had in 1992. I lost that job in 2001 I called the IRS to request my tax returns from 2001 to 2001. Can I request the courts to recalculate back child support obligation based on this correct income. While I was employed my current and back support obligation was under $2000. Now it is over $100,000. Since 2001 I have been displaced and have not had a steady job. I cannot keep a place. Do not own a car. After all of that I can say that I have paid over $200,000 in support to absent parents and the state. I cannot understand why I cannot get relief. How does a displaced person with no job fight the power of the state with no income or resources? What options do I have? What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
Generally you cannot retroactively modify back support, but you should certainly move to modify forward support. I would suggest consulting with an attorney in your area to at least take a closer look at whether there might be some basis to do something about the back support, even negotiating a payment plan you can live with. If you can't afford to have an attorney represent you, you might still be able to afford to have an attorney assist you in representing yourself (advice and drafting).
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/3/2011
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You will not be able to modify the support obligation, yet there are other factors that come into play, including possibly negotiating the back support amount due.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: