Is it possible to get recognition of foreign divorce? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I am a US citizen who has lived in Europe for the last 30 years. In 1990 I came back to Akron Ohio and married my Belgian girl friend, but was still residing in Holland. In 2004 we divorced in Holland. I have moved to Germany and want to marry again, but the German authorities require a legal document from Akron that my divorce is officially recognized. Is this possible? How do I go about doing this? Any advice or help is most welcome.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
I think your explanation is missing something, I could understand the German government wanting proof of divorce from Holland, but why have it filed in the US? A court can take judicial notice of a foreign divorce decree. You will need legal assistance to successfully present this to the court. Please see a domestic relations lawyer in the Akron area.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: