Is it possible to get my creen card once I have my H1B approved? 7 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I got my H1B approved only 6 months ago. Now is it possible to get the green card process started right now and if I am about to move to another company, will my green card process be transferred or the new company will start processing the green card from the first level?

Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
You can start now, but I would recommend waiting until you are with the company you will be with long term.
Any business can file for your permanent residence as long as there is a bona fide open position and you qualify for it. If your current employer starts the process and you leave, you can have a second employer file for you, but they will start over from the beginning.
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A.
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A. | Felipe Augusto Malo
You need to start a process called labor certification. It can be done through any company.
Yes you may apply and it does not matter which company applies for you provided that you will work for the sponsoring company after becoming a permanent resident.
Yes, it could be possible if your company is willing to sponsor you for lawful permanent residency. However, if you change companies, then the new company would have to restart the process with a new petition.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Your employer can start the green card process at any time. It is generally not linked to the nature of your current immigration status. You will generally not be able to benefit from the ongoing process if you leave the employer with no intention of returning once the green card can be issued to you. You will only be able to retain the benefit of an approved labor certification if you are so far in the process that your adjustment application has been pending for at least 180 days and you will be working in a position that is sufficiently similar to the one underlying the labor certification. It will likely take a number of years until you reach that part of the application process unless your position requires a Master degree or you have at least 5 years of progressive experience in addition to your Bachelor degree. In this case it will be around a year.
    You can't transfer because your company has to sponsor you on immigration visa petition with labor certificate. You have a long way to go before you can transfer to another company.