Is it possible to get a divorce online? 34 Answers as of August 15, 2011

Both me and my spouse work full time and we have children. Neither one of us has the time to sit and work through the process of a divorce. Is it possible to do this online? What should I expect if I want to do this online instead of in person.

No. You cannot divorce online. Someone, at least one of you has to go to court to testify on the final prove up. Now, you can do all the paperwork, get all the negotiations, etc. done in a lawyer's office at your convenience so that on the final trial date it takes only 15-20 minutes.
Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law
Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law | Neville J. Bedford
This is not possible in Rhode Island.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
At this time there is no online judicial process.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
No you cannot. Only a Judge can enter a valid divorce decree, and they don't issue judicial orders on line. If you do not have the time to figure out what papers to file and complete those papers, you should hire an attorney who can do the paperwork for you, you would just need to sign and provide the necessary documents and then possibly have one short hearing in court (presuming all issues are agreed upon and there are none for the judge to decide) in order to finalize the matter. If your existing or potential case is in or near the Central Florida area (Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake, Sumter, Marion, and nearby counties), I would be more than happy to speak with you. My office offers free initial telephone consultations, during which we can discuss your matter in more detail, as well as explore the potential rights and options available.
Horizons Law Group, LLC
Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
The forms are available, but it is difficult to understand them and know what to file when, how many copies, etc. Our firm has a service for this where you simply meet once with us and the rest can be done via mail and such and we take care of the copies and filing with the court and telling you what we need next.
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
    Many law firms, such as ours, have that ability to help parties get their divorce though email and mail communication. There are two items that you cannot get away from in many counties. Many counties do not accept the online version of the parenting class that is required by Georgia law before the divorce will be granted. The second item is the final hearing. When children are involved, many courts require the final hearing to be in person in the Courtroom. There are a few judges that do allow divorces to be granted by a Motion rather than a personal appearance.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    I don't know of any way to get a California divorce online. You will need to follow the appropriate steps.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    It is not possible to get a divorce online, but it is possible to deal with most aspects long-distance. You will eventually have to appear before a notary, at a minimum, but there are ways to accomplish a divorce without appearing in court.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    It is possible to get a divorce without ever going to Court. If everything is agreed, I could help facilitate the process.
    Rice & Co., LPA
    Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
    It is very unusual that a divorce can be finalized without at least one party appearing in court. (Although I did do it one time, when one party was on active military duty, the other lived halfway across the country, and there were no kids.) Additionally, there are many documents that need to be signed and notarized, so some use of the mail would likely be required. When children are involved, most counties require attendance at a parenting through divorce seminar, and often a meeting with a court counselor. A divorce is a very big step in your life, and warrants significant amounts of your time and attention. Certainly efforts can be made to minimize the number of face-to-face meetings that are required, but it may not be wise to avoid them altogether.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    This is the purpose of hiring an attorney to have your attorney work out and work through the process of divorce.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    Yes, all of the pleadings can be completed online, but you need to mail them in to the court. Most courts have a mandatory parent education class you must complete, but you can do that online also. You do not need to personally appear in court for an uncontested divorce.
    Lewis, Pfanstiel & Williams, PCLO
    Lewis, Pfanstiel & Williams, PCLO | Ryan J. Lewis
    It can not be done online.
    The Coyle Law Office
    The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
    The least time-consuming way to have your divorce handled would be for one or both of you to hire an attorney to prepare the paperwork and appear at the initial court date. You will likely need to appear for at least one court date, however.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    No not possible.
    No, you can not do it online. A lawyer can help, so that you have to go to court only one time. I can help you with this. And I will tell you up front what it will cost to do this for you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    While it is not possible to get a Georgia divorce online, in most cases, we are able to help people get a simple uncontested divorce for very little time spent in our offices and they usually do not have to go to court. Good luck.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    Unfortunately, no.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    It is possible to get most the forms online, you can mail the forms to the courthouse once you notarize them, but you must show up, in person, in court at least once.
    No, divorce is not possible online.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    Cookie cutter online services are sketchy at best. Expect to have something that may get the job done but will be a source of headaches later.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    While there is no process that enables you to obtain a valid divorce online, you may both be able to use the same attorney to obtain your divorce. For example, our office has a system where we are able to coordinate with our clients via email and fax. If all issues can be agreed upon, there should be no reason that you can not jointly hire someone to prepare and file your paperwork for you.
    You can get the forms on line. In some counties in Washington you can file on line. All will accept filing by mail. Some counties, like Lincoln, do not require an appearance if all documents are agreed to. If you need hearings, it is best to appear in person. A divorce is serious business.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    You may be able to find a do-it-yourself kit online, but you will still have to properly fill out the papers, submit them to the correct court and then make between one and five appearances before the court. If you have children or a house or significant assets, a do-it-yourself divorce is not appropriate any more than do-it-yourself brain surgery. Please seek out the help of a professional a lawyer with experience in domestic relations.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    As long as the two of you wish to proceed with an Uncontested Divorce, then it is possible to obtain a Divorce with minimal time commitment and interruption of your daily schedules. You can simply have an attorney negotiate/draft a Separation Agreement and Petition for the two of you to review and sign (notarized). Much of this process can be done via email. However, at least one of you would have to show up for the court hearing to have the Divorce Judgment entered.
    No. You can acquire forms online or have forms for divorce drafted online by certain business entities. Ultimately, however, you must serve and file those forms in a court to acquire a divorce.
    No.
    I do not know of an on line means to do a divorce. In some jurisdictions you can do filings through the Internet. You still must file and serve a petition for divorce and follow all the other proper steps in processing and completing a divorce action.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    You cannot obtain a divorce on line. You need to retain a lawyer because you have issues of child support, child custody, spousal support, division of assets at stake. No matter how busy you are, you will have to find the time to meet with an experienced family law firm and they can guide you. If you guys can agree on everything it will not be very expensive or time consuming.
    Divorces happen in Court. They cannot be done online. And they have major and significant side effects on property, debts, income, etc. Cases with children are exceptionally more complex, as even in an uncontested both parties must do financial disclosures for the court, and the case must determine child support, custody, visitation schedules, parenting plans (including who makes decisions on education, health care, religion, etc), tax deductions for kids, college, health insurance, dental insurance and so on. These are critical issues for your children and frankly, your children should matter enough where you take time from work, get a lawyer, and do things right. Not doing this right will have very negative effects on your children. You do need a lawyer, and you do need to make your children a priority and find time. The courts expect that of you. Incidentally you may also have a hearing or hearings in court, depending on the county, and in many county each of you will be required to attend a parenting class.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    Although some of the documents can be prepared online, they must be filed in person. If there are any disputed issues, those would also have to be addressed in person; however, if you and your spouse have agreements on all issues, then it may be possible to complete the divorce just by filing the appropriate documents at the appropriate time without having to attend any hearings or other court appearances.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney