Is it possible to find an attorney whom would provide representation for a legal malpractice case on a contingency basis? 23 Answers as of January 18, 2013

All the components necessary to pursue such a case are involved. There are even civil right issues that add to the depth of the case. It would be a large award (limited only by sued attorney's malpractice insurance. Plenty of credible and professional witnesses.

Edward J. Achrem & Associates
Edward J. Achrem & Associates | Ed Achrem
Depending on the case, we take legal malpractice on contingency.
Reade & Associates
Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
It is possible but attorneys who take legal malpractice cases are few. You will need to search diligently and be able to cogently and coherently explain why malpractice was committed in order to be able to convince an attorney of the merits of your action.
Magnuson Lowell P.S.
Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
Almost without exception, attorneys who handle legal malpractice claims do so on a contingency basis. So the answer to your question is 'yes.
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
Of course, but damages must be big and real. Hurt feelings don't compute into monetary damage awards. Because you are shopping the case in public and talking in generalities, I suspect no case. Write two short paragraphs about how you were damaged and how much money you think a jury should award you.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
The quick answer is yes, but that's not even close to the difficulty in finding a lawyer to pursue it and then winning a legal malpractice case. In a legal malpractice case you have two cases to prove and to win. You need two sets of experts and therefore twice as much litigation expense and time involved. These are not just difficult cases but extremely difficult cases. The client's complaint is always the same. The attorney was an incompetent fool who botched my case. Just think about that for a moment. You hired a lousy attorney, the lousy attorney didn't know what they were doing. Didn't know what they were doing from the start; meaning they don't even know what a good case looks like. Assuming we get by this hurdle we then have a lousy lawyer attempting to put the case together while not understanding what they need to do to assemble the right evidence. From the cases I've looked at this translates into the underlying case not being put together correctly and this creates all sorts of challenges when 4 or more years later the real trial lawyer attempts to put together not just one case but two. The evidence hasn't been preserved, the evidence that is there is usually bad, screwed up and might as well be buried with Davie Jones. And now you come along telling me it's a great case? Are you serious? If you hired the lousy lawyer to begin with why should I now think you know any more than over the past three or four years as you stood by watching the lawyer you now say is an idiot, suddenly know what you were supposed to be doing then? My point is not to malign you but to make you understand no legal malpractice case is easy, a slam dunk or one that suddenly turns into a multi-million lottery ticket. So yes, there are legal malpractice lawyers, but no it's probably not as easy a win as you think.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    The answer to your question is yes if the case is as strong as you claim
    Most litigators would agree on a contingency fee if the case were as you represent, clear liability, big damages, plenty of expert witnesses. Scares me a little when you talk about civil rights issues. Don't think that ought to be involved in a legal case.
    Edward D. Flint  PLLC
    Edward D. Flint PLLC | Edward D. Flint
    Absolutely. The attorney fee is limited by statute to one-third of the amount recovered, so all attorneys charge the exact same contingent fee.
    Yes, most medical malpractice attorneys represent clients on a contingency fee basis.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Most personal injury and malpractice cases are taken on a contingency retainer. If you have a valid claim you will be able to find an attorney to represent you.
    Yes, there are lawyers who do legal malpractice cases in Alabama. Call your local bar association and ask for a list. One word of caution, though. Winning a legal malpractice case is not as easy as you seem to imply. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
    Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
    Shouldn't be too hard - have you contacted attorneys who specialize in the area to see if they will take your case? Pick up the phone and start dialing.
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S.
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S. | Richard Eugene Lewis
    If the case is as good as you believe, then finding a lawyer to take it on a contingent fee should be no problem.
    Call the State Bar and ask for a referral. Then talk to the attorneys and see if someone will accept the case.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    Yes. Most malpractice attorneys, including myself, are willing to take cases on a contingency basis, especially when both liability and damages are as clear as you have indicated. I recommend that you contact counsel for a more in depth evaluation of your claim.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Most malpractice cases are on a contingency fee basis.
    Attorney at Law | John P. Rivers
    If you are having difficulty finding an attorney to represent you, perhaps you need to reevaluate the strength of your case. If the case were as strong as you indicate, most competent and experienced attorneys who practice in that field would take the case. Listen objectively to the next attorney you consult.
    Rags Beals Seigler Patterson & Gray
    Rags Beals Seigler Patterson & Gray | Ronald D. Reemsnyder
    Many litigation attorneys, including myself , handle professional malpractice claims. They are not difficult to find. A simple internet search will lead you to them.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    I handle legal malpractice cases on contingency.
    Law Office of J. Michael Gatien
    Law Office of J. Michael Gatien | J. Michael Gatien
    I might be interested but, would need comprehensive information as to the reasons for liability and the verification of your losses or damages.
    Yes, it is possible to have a legal malpractice prosecuted on a contingency basis IF the attorney believes there are proofs, liability and collectability. The decision can be made only following a full exposition of the facts.
    Timiney Law Firm
    Timiney Law Firm | Leigh Anne Timiney
    I am sorry to hear about your issue. Most attorneys who handle malpractice cases do so on a contingency fee basis. I would suggest you check with your state bar association and seek a referral for an attorney who handles legal malpractice.
    That's the only fee arrangement that can be made on that type of case in Michigan This e-mail is covered under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.