Is it possible to file something to ask for my address and bank name/account number to be redacted from the public record? 8 Answers as of February 15, 2017

I am about to file Chapter 7. I am not embarrassed, but I am an assault survivor (there is no order of protection), and I am in a profession where there is a legitimate danger of being docked. Having my address (and a list of my personal belongings and bank information) publicly available puts my personal safety at risk. I've worked extremely hard to keep my address private and obviously, since I'm in Chapter 7, I cannot afford to move. Is it legal to use a PO Box for your address for the court documents? I am so afraid of this possibility that I am hesitating on filing chapter 7.

The bankruptcy petition requires both your physical address and your mailing address (if different - for example, with a PO Box) so filing with only your PO Box isn't an option. The procedure where a home address is sensitive information is to file with only the city and state then immediately file a motion for seal records explaining the unusual circumstances which require that your home address be kept confidential. You should realize that your creditors be notified of your home address but your creditors probably already know your home address. There is a presumption that the public has a right to public records like court filings, but it strikes me that both being an assault survivor and in a profession subject to attack you have a good chance of convincing the judge to seal your home address from the record.
You can use a PO box for your mailing address in bankruptcy. However, your assets, including the bank you bank at, (not necessarily the account number) are matters you have to disclose.
You must list a street address, you may receive your mail at a PO Box. Your bank account does not have to be listed with account numbers. Since you do not have a protection order I think it would be difficult to get a motion granted protecting your address.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Speak with a knowledgeable local bankruptcy attorney about the best way to accomplish your goals.
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
Yes, you can use a PO Box for your mailing address, and that way the public record will not show your actual address. And, you can file a motion to redact certain information on the schedules if you can prove you have good cause.
    It is possible to have your address redacted from a bankruptcy filing, but you will need to file an immediate ex parte motion to accomplish this. Not sure how you would justify redacting the name of your bank account, but the number required is only for the last 4 digits of the account.
    It's not clear if you are merely considering a Chapter 7, or if you have already filed a case. Consult a skilled BR lawyer in your locality, who can tell you if the practice in your district is to seal the papers. I would doubt that a judge would grant a motion to seal your address, for example, because creditors may need it to search public records for liens or other relevant notices.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    A good bankruptcy lawyer will know how to do this so that your address is blocked.