Is it possible to convert from visitor B1/B2 to F1? 13 Answers as of February 28, 2014

My wife and I came to U.S.A on visitor visa. After seeing U.S.A education system, my wife would like to convert into student visa and I will be on her dependent status. Can we/Are we allowed to do that process?

Yes, you can apply for a change of status to F-1 once you are accepted into a program at a college or university and get the I-20 forms from the school for the status change.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Yes, you may convert from B1 to F1 student. But you must do so before your current B2 status expires. Please seek an attorneys assistance
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Yes, it is possible to convert B-2 status to F-1, by going through the proper procedure for doing so.
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid | Rizwan Khalid
yes, it is possible, but dependent on many factors and approvals. Contact an immigration attorney to discuss further in detail.
You first have to leave the country. If you stay here on a tourist visa you will get in trouble.
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
    Your wife has to find a school that would agree to enroll her full-time. The school has to be authorized to enroll foreign students The course of study has to start before your B1/B2 status expires (considering that we are in the end of February, there will not be many schools that can enroll your wife now; she might have to go to a English-as-second-language school now and later transfer into an educational institution offering a substantive course of study) You will have to show that you have finds available to you that would cover the costs of your stay in the U.S. and the costs of your wife's education. The enrolling school will have an official who will issue the necessary form for the Immigration Service. You will have to send to US Citizenship & Immigration Service the school-issued form with your application to change status (Form I-539) The application form and instructions are posted at uscis.gov/forms Remember that your application must be received by USCIS before the date when your authorized stay in the U.S. expires (it is the date on the admission stamp in your passport and on Form I-94, the white card that was stapled into your passport on entry - NOT the expiration date on your visa!).
    Fasidi Legal Group
    Fasidi Legal Group | Busayo Fasidi
    Yes you may change your status in the US, so long as your authorized stay is still valid based on the information in your I-94
    Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
    Yes. You can do it, but you will need to consult with an attorney for the specifics.
    You may be able to change your status while in the United States. The first step would be to obtain admission to a school. I would encourage you to speak with the DSOs at any schools you are interested in attending.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    Perhaps if there are no restrictions on your visitor's visas.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    Yes. You can file a change of status from one status to another while in the US. You must wait until it gets approved before starting school, however.