Is it possible to change the status, if so what is the procedure? 6 Answers as of April 30, 2013

I hold a B1/B2 visa valid until 2014 and had visited US in 2004 and 2005 (have not overstayed). My sister and family have recently moved to US and I wish to move in and change my Visa Status. Could anyone help me in understanding how the procedure works? I would appreciate if someone can throw light on the same.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
SwagatUSA, LLC
SwagatUSA, LLC | Dhenu Savla
A number of questions remain. 1) How old are you? 2) Who in your family is a Permanent Resident or a Citizen (immediate family) 3) Has anyone ever filed a green card application or petition for you in the past? Talk to an attorney over phone or in person and explain the situation in detail in order to get a better idea about your case.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 11/23/2012
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Dear Sir, You are out of luck, unless you have been expected by a university that admitted you and signed off on Issuing you an I-20 form.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/20/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
The best way to get this kind of a consultation is via consulting an immigration attorney in person. US immigration rules are very complex and any explanation, no matter how thorough, would raise more questions than provide answer for you. This forum is for general questions only, not specific detailed consultations. As a general matter, you will not be able to change anything to anything. Your sister would need to petition for you. Putting aside the eligibility question for such petition, which I cannot address since I do not have enough information from your entry, this process is very lengthy and usually takes over a decade. Yes a decade, which is 10 years.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/30/2013
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You cannot just change status unless you have a basis to do so. You would need to either become a student and apply for a change of status to a student visa or get a job and have an employer file a petition on your behalf and, once approved, ask for a change of status to the work visa status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/20/2012
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
You would need to be sponsored by either an employer or immediate relative to be able to come to the USA on an immigrant basis. The employer can file for an employment based visa for you (such as L1, H1, J) which could then be followed up with a green card petition. Otherwise, your parents, siblings, or legal resident/citizen spouse can put in a petition for you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/20/2012
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    The answer to this question depends on what status you wish to change to and whether you are eligible to do so. You should take the time to meet with an immigration lawyer and go over your situation.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 11/20/2012
Click to View More Answers: