Is it possible to become a citizen with a criminal record? 7 Answers as of August 11, 2011

I have been a permanent resident of the United States of America since 1985, I started school from kindergarten to jr college, I have worked and paid my taxes since I was 16yrs old, I am 40 yrs old now I have never lived anywhere else but the US. I received two DUI’s over 17 years that are not felonies and then I received another 7 years ago not a felony and now I would like to become a US citizen can this be possible? I have been hearing lots of different answers.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
If you are done with your probation, I would consider filing for naturalization.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/11/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If you have not had any other immigration violations or criminal arrests, charges or convictions in the past 5 years, you should be able to apply for citizenship. The USCIS requires a 5-year period of "good moral character". Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney to review the two DUI's to ensure they are no factors that would result in your denial.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/10/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It is possible to become a U.S. citizen criminal record, but it is really dependent on the type of crime committed and when it was committed. Offenses which are defined as aggravated felonies by the IMMIGRATION law and which took place after November of 1990 do prevent citizenship. Other offenses do not always mean denial. Other offenses which occur within five years prior to the application may mean denial. You should take your criminal dispositions and consult with an attorney. Even if you dont use an attorney to complete your application, a knowledgeable opinion would be helpful to you.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/10/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
By statute, you should have good moral character for the past 5 years. Immigration officers may look beyond 5 years in certain circumstances. Nowadays, DUI is one of the main reasons to deny naturalization. Best is hire an attorney. Let us know if you need any further help.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/10/2011
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Personally, I'd take the case, gladly. You should be represented in the process, with your facts. It's always smart to get a second opinion.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/10/2011
    Yoo & Lee, LLP
    Yoo & Lee, LLP | Winston W. Lee
    We can only answer that question after we have reviewed the court papers regarding your 2 DUIs.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/10/2011
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
    Depending on the state where you were charged with the DUI, this can affect things. But as you committed the crimes outside the statutory period then that is good. If you are deemed to be an habitual drunkard this proves you dont have good moral character and thus grounds to deny your citizenship so show rehabilitation etc.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: