Is it possible that my fiancé could adopt my daughter without her biological father’s consent? 1 Answers as of June 18, 2015

My daughter’s biological father walked out on me when I was 2 months pregnant with my daughter. At 6 months pregnant, he got married and decided to deny my daughter. Once she was born, he demanded a DNA test in order to be in life. I refused because I had no doubt in my mind she was his. After that, we lost touch. When my daughter was 7 months old, he sent me a message via Facebook and decided he wanted to be in her life but not as long as I was with my fiancé which we got in a relationship when I was 7 months pregnant. He has been there since and my daughter is now 16 months old. My fiancé is the only father she knows. The biological father has never met her nor spent a dime on her. He uses the distance and the fact another man is in her life as an excuse not to be in her life. Now my fiancé and I are expecting a child of our own and will be getting married here soon. We decided that my fiancé was ready to adopt my daughter.

I believe you would have to have a termination of the natural father's parental rights before the adoption could occur without his consent.