Is it possible for me to claim my deceased parents and grandparent unclaimed funds? 15 Answers as of October 31, 2013

My mother and father and my grandfather on my mother’s side have all passed away. They all have unclaimed funds. Can I claim those funds?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
Yes, if you can go to that website and complete the form for unclaimed funds but will also have to provide other required information as well.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/31/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
It is possible if you are their heir.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 10/23/2013
Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
yes, you usually can with an original death certifica
Answer Applies to: New Mexico
Replied: 10/23/2013
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Yes, if you can establish that you are the heir or beneficiary.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/23/2013
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
You probably need a probate to pick them up. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 10/23/2013
    Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
    You can. You may have to open a case in probate court to get the assets.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Geoff Germane, Attorney at Law | Geoff Germane
    You probably can, but you'll need to show your right to inheritance, either through a probated will or through intestacy proceedings. Both of these mean going to court and getting an order regarding who the heirs are. If more than three years have passed since your parents died, a previously unprobated will cannot be probated. An experienced estate planner and probate attorney can help you with this.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    You should be able to claim the funds. Contact the state agency that has the unclaimed funds for more details. You may have to see an attorney to open up a probate estate in order to claim the funds.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    You should be able to claim the funds. However, you may need to open an estate in circuit court if the unclaimed funds, it would depend of the amount of unclaimed funds. Check with the state's agency that handles that to see what their procedure is in handling this situation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    Their estate can claim the funds as a part of the probate process.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    Perhaps. Are there other heirs, as well? If not, then you can certainly make a claim. What is involved depends on the nature and the size of the claim.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/23/2013
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    Yes, you can make a claim on those funds. You will need to prove that all the named claimants are deceased and that you are a legitimate heir. The funds will need to be divided between all heirs.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/22/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Likely, but you may have to share with other heirs of equal priority. Speak with an estate attorney to determine how to proceed.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/22/2013
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, it may be possible, but more likely the personal representative of their estates will need to claim the decedents' funds or at least the funds may be made payable to their estates, so that the personal representative will need to receive and distribute the funds to the estates' beneficiaries.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 10/22/2013
    Law Office Of Victor Waid
    Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
    You can make a claim, but you will have to prove your lineage.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney