Is it possible for me and boyfriend to get married if he is facing possible deportation from a divorce? 7 Answers as of September 05, 2014

My boyfriend and I met while he was in the middle of a divorce to another US citizen (divorce was settled almost 2 years ago). Now he is facing possible deportation from that divorce. Is it possible for us to get married at this moment? Will it keep him from getting deported? What are our options?

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I do not understand how he can be deported based on his divorce, unless he entered into a fraudulent marriage or was not married for the requisite time to have the condition removed from his green card. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your boyfriend's situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise you of your options.
It will not stop him from getting deported. Please rethink your wanting to have him in your life. It appears that all he is interested in is getting his green card. It did not work the first time, so he is going to try again.
What is the basis for the deportation? It cannot be divorce.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Depending on the law of the state where you live, that determines who can get married. If there was a prior fraudulent marriage, then that could bar him from getting any future marriage case approved.
Law Offices of Peter S. Kollory | Peter S. Kollory
Yes because getting married lawfully and prior deportation (removal) proceedings are different. They are related to the extent that the marriage has to be bona fide without any doubt as to its legality, both the first and this one; and much depends on the charges noted in the removal proceedings. The charges (basis) of removal has to be explored and examined to avoid removal in view of second marriage. Besides, the sting of removal can be reduced in some ways.
    You may marry if he is divorced. He may be able to avoid deportation if you marry but there is not enough information to assess the matter. You need to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss options as there is not enough information provided.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You may get married. If it would help his immigration situation, is a different question. Consult with an attorney. A lot of information is missing: if he has been served with NTA, if he has a domestic violence record, etc.