Is it normal to be arrested while you're still in the store for theft? 7 Answers as of February 24, 2014

I was at the store shopping and realized that I didn't have my wallet. I panicked and left some the merchandise on the counter and I went back to the last place I was and realized I had items in my bag that belonged to the store. I put it out and the security and manger came to me and said that I stole their merchandise. My question is, is it normal while you still in the store to be arrested?

It does not sound like you tried to deprive the store of the items. That is a defense. Get a lawyer and fight.
Once you put it in your bag, it is shoplifting.
It's all a matter of intent. There is no requirement that you step out of the store. Most security guards will stop you only after you step out because it makes "intent" easier to prove, but is not required.
Law Office of Mark Herman
Law Office of Mark Herman | Mark Herman
Theft is a crime where someone intentionally and without claim of right takes, uses, transfers, conceals or retains possession of movable property of another without the other's consent and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of possession of the property. A person leaving a store without paying for merchandise is a strong case for the prosecution as they have retained possession of property without the owner's consent and with the intent of depriving the owner of the property. If a person puts merchandise back, there has been no retention of possession of property of another without the owner's consent and there was no intent to deprive the owner of permanent possession of the property. Speak with an attorney to get this matter resolved.
Yes, it is normal to be arrest in the store, based on the items being concealed. We normally get diversion for clients in these matters. Please just call our office at 402-455-1711 to talk with a lawyer and receive a free, friendly consultation to discuss your matter. We offer this service to help assist your needs and help you with your questions or legal problems. Just call now to speak with us and allow us to serve you.