Is it my responsibility or the landlords to pay for the electricity? 3 Answers as of September 18, 2013

My lease on an apartment ended July 31. I mailed my keys back but around august 7th or 8th I believe I realized I had never switched the electricity over back to the landlord. I paid an additional amount of 17 dollars for the month of august but there is still a 4.10 balance. During the initial mail back of the keys they got lost somehow in the mail. I approached the post office but they couldn't offer me much help. The administrative person for the landlord said they would have to deduct some money from my security deposit which they did. I've tried asking the landlord to pay for the electricity but he says it's my job to pay since it was in my name and the electric company said they couldn't back date the bill. I say the landlord should pay because as of the 31 I was no longer in the apartment I was leased under and not using the electricity. Nor was I ever at the apartment after the 31. The landlord has been giving me the run around for a couple weeks with not really returning phone calls and just beating around the bush.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Your deal with the electric Co is not your landlords problem.
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
It is 4.10. That's like 1/2 the price of a dbl 1/4 lb MickeyD's combo meal. Why are you wasting so much of your time and energy on $4.10. Pay it, move on. Your landlord is not the one who forgot to take the utility out of your name.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
It might be the landlord's here, but honestly, I don't think it is worth fighting over $4.10. I would just pay it.